Untitled
Let these sponsors know you love this site
Southern Ohio Moument Co.....AM 660....
Vallery Ford....Sunrush Water....Union Stables....

Keith Jones  My grandfather may have owned this bakery, too, but there is another name on the token

Watch Fob from 1914 F.F.F. Farmers Fall Festival in Chillicothe

Keith Jones From my Grandfather Hamelberg's Bakery

Keith Jones collection

First National Bank Block early 1900s

First National Bank 1960's

      "In 1868 a charter was issued to Henry Truitt, P.T. Matthews, and Harvey Holman under the name of Truitt-Matthews & Company Bankers. Henry Truitt was Barbara Truitt's Great-grandfather, and Harvey Holman was Kenny Mills' Great-grandfather. The original location of Truitt-Matthews & Company Bankers was at 915 N. Second Street. Truitt-Matthews & Company Bankers later built and moved their Bank to the building at 937 N. Second Street. In 1919, Truitt-Matthews & Company Banking moved to 935 N. Second Street and the name was changed from Truitt-Matthews Bankers to Truitt-Matthews Banking Company. Upon the death of Harvey Holman, William Mead purchased Mr. Holman's stock and along with Mr. Truitt became an active participant in the management of Truitt-Matthews Banking Company. Truitt-Matthews Banking Company remained in this location until June 30, 1966, when the Truitt-Matthews Banking Company and the First National Bank of Chillicothe merged.
     The First National Bank of Chillicothe received its charter from the Comptroller of the Currency on the twenty-fourth day of December, 1900. The original stockholders of the First National Bank were:
Benjamin F. Zinser, Vincent P. Turner, Louis P. Phillip, Ira D. Buck, Thomas Boylan, Walter Kingman & Harold J. Ross. The original location of the First National Bank of Chillicothe was at 944 N. Second Street. The Bank later moved to a new location at 1007 N. Second Street. This building was destroyed by fire in 1950, and rebuilt in 1951. During the construction, the First National Bank operated in two rooms located at 216 W. Pine Street. Since the location contained no vault, the currency, coin and records were transported daily back and forth to the vault across the street under the protection and supervision of the Chillicothe Police Department.
      On June 30, 1966, Truitt-Matthews Banking Company and the First National Bank merged under a charter of the Comptroller of the Currency into Truitt-Matthews First National Bank. Personnel and equipment of Truitt-Matthews Banking Company were moved into what was our downtown office at 1007 N. Second Street. Barbara Truitt was named Chairman of the Board of Directors, with R.H. Zinser named President, and Frank J. Coon named Cashier.
      In March 1978, approval was received to change our name to the First National Bank of Chillicothe. In August 1978 we moved into our current location at 900 N. Fourth Street, retaining the downtown location as a facility. We continued to operate the downtown location as a facility until December 31, 1987. At that time all First National Bank banking services were consolidated at the 900 N. Fourth Street location. The 1007 N. Second Street building was sold in July 1989.
     The Truitt Family remains active in the operations of the bank, and still maintains controlling interest in the parent corporation."
  From First National Bank web site

Chillicothe celebration 1938 Wooden nickle front

Chillicothe celebration 1938 Wooden nickle back

Masonic Good Luck token

Sunrush car wash token

Sunrush car wash token

Murphy Distilling Co.

Phil Long

Ph. Eichenlaub

Ph. Eichenlaub

Greisheimer Bros.

Clay Johnson

F. O. E. Aerie 600

Schwaerzlers good for 5c in trade

A. S. Driscoll back

1873 James & French Clarksburg back
1873 James & French Clarksburg front

1873 James & French Clarksburg back


1865 F. Bier & Bro. back

1865 F. Bier & Bro. front
Wm. Richards Bainbridge back
Wm. Richards Bainbridge back

 Other Tokens

1863 T. Rupel & Co. Grocers front

1863 T. Rupel & Co. Grocers back

Chillicothe Rufus Motter token front  365

Rufus Motter token back

1863 W. M. Sosman Baker & Grocer front

1863 W. M. Sosman Baker & Grocer back

1864 H Keim Grocer 4th and Hickory front

1864 H Keim Grocer 4th and Hickory back

1863 A. Wallace Trade Token front

1863 A. Wallace Trade Token back

1863 A. Wallace Trade Token front

1863 A. Wallace Trade Token back

     By 1862, the second year of the Civil War, government-issued coinage began vanishing from circulation.  American citizens hoarded all coins with gold and silver, and eventually began hoarding copper-nickel cents as well.  This made it extremely difficult for businesses to conduct transactions. In response, many merchants turned to private minters to fill the void left by the hoarded coins. The first of these privately minted tokens appeared in the autumn of 1862, by H. A. Ratterman, in Cincinnati, Ohio.

     Civil War tokens became illegal after the United States Congress passed a law on April 22, 1864 prohibiting the issue of any one or two-cent coins, tokens or devices for use as currency. On June 8, 1864 an additional law was passed that forbade all private coinage.
Chillicothe, Ohio Trade Tokens and more

Freemason Scioto Lodge #6 F. & A.M. Chillicothe, Ohio 1805-2005

1873 James & French Clarksburg front
Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com. 
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Bank of Chillicothe 22 Nov 1816 check

Bank of Chillicothe

Bank of Chillicothe

Turner Recreation

Turner Recreation

Chillicothe Sunny Brook Pool Room tokens

F. C. Mansfield

F. C. Mansfield

F. J. Elk

F. J. Elk

Chillicothe 100 anniversary 1796 - 1896

Phil Long

A. S. Driscoll front

1863 A. S. Kramer back

1863 A. S. Kramer front

1873 Mauck & Bradbury Clarksburg back

1873 Mauck & Bradbury Clarksburg front