Chillicothe busy street scene at Paint and Main, with a city transit bus, descendent of the streetcar system.
Chillicothe Railway Company street Car near corner of Paint and Main Streets
Here is how they tested their regular stock three-ton truck by delivering a load of canned goods in Cincinnati, Ohio. One hundred cases were loaded in the truck and started from the factory at 1:00 pm, reaching Washington Courthouse at night, having made a distance 32 miles in about four hours. One bad washout was passed "without difficulty." The next day, the journey was continued to Dayton, Ohio, in the "midst of a pouring rain, which made the roads very slippery." The party started off for Cincinnati at 7:00 am the next morning and the 62 miles were "covered in good shape," the truck arriving at the garage of the Cincinnati Automobile Company at a little before 6:00 pm. According to the company; "not a tool had been touched to the truck during the trip, and most of the way had been made on the high gear."
President William Howard Taft riding in the back seat of one of the Arbenz touring cars when he was campaigning in Chillicothe in 1912.
Scioto Valley Traction Depot 1918
Chillicothe's Arbenz auto factory at the left and the Florentine Pottery Co. at the right background, this photo was taken from atop the B&O coal tipple on Watt Street in 1896 while it was a furniture factory.
Building was built originally as the Arbenz Furniture Factory in 1888 using 1,500,000 bricks. In 1910 the factory was retooled to assemble automobiles. All parts were made elsewhere.
Scioto Valley Traction Depot 1912
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
A 1913 Arbenz Roadster. These cars were built between 1911 and 1917
Paint Street, Chillicothe as seen from Water Street. Note the street cars at the corner of Second and Paint Street
The Chillicothe Electric Railroad and Light & Power Company ticket
Chillicothe Railway Company Street car at Eastern School Building
An old Chillicothe street car
Chillicothe trolley heading west on Second St., at the intersection with Paint. This particular one is heading to Camp Sherman. This would make it to be around 1917-1919 period.
Scioto Valley Traction Car in front of the Chillicothe Terminal which was used until the depot was built in 1908. The twin Bridges are to the left of this picture.
Scioto Valley Traction Car by the twin Bridges at Chillicothe
April 1930 service was discontinued with the last car out to Chillicothe leaving at 11:00p.m. with motor man William Rigney, and conductor George Gallager in charge.
CITY TRANSIT HISTORY
Prior to 1894 - Chillicothe Electric Railway & Lighting Co.
1894-1904 - Chillicothe Electric Railroad Light & Power Co.
1904-1923 - Scioto Valley Traction Co.
1923-1930 - Scioto Valley Railway & Power Co. (United Light & Power Co.)
1930 - streetcars discontinued about February
Private bus co. in 1952 - Public Transport
The Owl's Auto Parade in Chillicothe, Ohio in 1909, rolling south on Paint St. past Huntington Row; first the marchers, then an electric trolley, and then the autos.
An early advertisement in national magazine, Motor Age noted the automobile was "light, powerful, swift and silent" and that the Logan "Blue Streak" was a semi-racer. The engine was 24-horsepower and the vehicle was sold for $1,750.
The Hudson dealership in Chillicothe was by Herrnstein-Walsh Auto Sales on West Water Street. They also sold Mohawk tires and various recaps.
Police patrol in a Logan Automobile, Logan manufactured automobiles between 1903 and 1908. They were the first automobile manufactures ever to export vehicles overseas.
Charles Jones driving his mother and sister in an Arbenz Motor Car, 1912. The Arbenz company of manufactured touring cars and roadsters between 1911 and 1918. Note the smooth rubber tires.
Chillicothe first auto owner
Clarence Caldwell at the wheel of the tow truck in front of Miller's Garage. The building is still on Eastern Avenue right where it joins Hickory across from Poland Park .
Tom Placier photo
Logan Truck about 1906 on East Street in Chillicothe. This was the first American Co. to export trucks (two delivered trucks) to China in 1905).
Electric Street Railway Light and Power Company May 13, 1916
The Hub November 1916
The Scioto Car Co. (1911-1912) then The Arbenz Car Co. (1912-1918) produced an Automobile called the Arbenz. Fred Arbenz was president and founder of the company. His son Nand Arbenz was designer of the mid priced Arbenz.
The Scioto Car Co. was named after the Scioto river. In 1912 the company was renamed after it's founder, Fred Arbenz. The automobile name was spelled "ArBenZ" in advertising reportlly to take advantage of the popular Benz automobile made in Germany.
Early ArBenZ automobiles were equipped with four cylinder engines that developed 40 horsepower. In the 1914 ArBenZ advertising list their Touring Cars at $1885.00. Starting in 1916 the ArBenz produced a smaller and cheaper automobile with a 17 horsepower Lycoming engine that sold for $625.00.
The ArBenZ was equipped with a special rear axle and transmission. The axle was full floating and had extra heavy pitch gears. The transmission was integral with rear axle and had three speeds forward and a reverse. With the axle and transmission connected together only one universal joint between motor and rear wheels. Another unusual feature was the fully enclosed 16 inch brakes.
In September 1918 The ArBenZ Car Co. suspended operation because Nand Arbenz was called into the service due to WWI and the difficulties experienced in obtaining material and labor.
Touring Cars and Roadsters were produced from 1911 to 1918.
In March 1916, ArBenz was taken over by the National United Service Company, which was acquiring automotive brands for yet another attempt to take onGeneral Motors. NUSC announced that it would continue ArBenz production, but by 1918 the only cars assembled were from remaining parts.
In February 1918, it was announced that the ArBenz Car Company would move to Shelby, Ohio, where the company would make farm tractors.
The Model D Logan built in Chillicothe in 1905 by the Logan Company. The Logan Construction Company operated between 1903-1908
Former Chillicothe Railway Company street car Barn site corner of Delano and Arch Streets