Icey photo of Hewitt's cave
Chillicothe's Lunbeck Mill in 1911
Hallsville, Main Street in 1911
Freight train entering Chillicothe, Ohio Feb 1940 by Arthur Rothstein
Glen Martha Farm
Grand Stand at the Fairgrounds located off Arch Street, Chillicothe at the current location of the former Smith Middle School
An aerial view of the old Ross County Infirmary and the Ross Co. Fairgrounds. The infirmary stood where the Ross Co. Water Co. is now, in the upper left corner of this photo.
Clarksburg, Ohio main street
Farmers' picnic at Lyndon, Ohio
Girls riding on the Huntington Pike
A glimpse of the Huntington Hills, near Chillicothe, Ohio
Brush Ridge Fire Tower
Chillicothe District Tubercular Hospital at Mt. Logan about 1920
U.S. Industrial Reformatory
VA Hospital Administration Building
VA Hospital Main Buildings
U.S. Industrial Reformatory c 1938
Please email additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Mona Chapel School in Anderson
A 1913 photo of Lumbeck Mill, dam, and bridge south of Chillicothe.
“Wm. Hewitt, the Hermit, occupied this cave 14 years, while all was a wilderness around him. He died in 1834, aged 70 years."
Present location of Hewitt's monument is in Scioto Trails State Park
Hewitt’s Cave was what it was called, but it was just a section of the rock ledge that had left a hole. He built a wooden floor, placed rocks in front and made a wooden door. He was called Hewitt the Hermit because he preferred to keep to himself, raising a garden and killing wild game for food. His background was in Virginia where he was born in Augusta Co. in 1764. He, William, came to the Ohio territory in 1785 to what is now Jackson County but after serving as a scout in the War of 1812 moved to this cave in 1820. William was a big man, 6 feet, 2 inches tall, broad and deep chested, weighing over 200 pounds and strong and active. He wore buckskin (leather) from head to toe; a cap, a hunting shirt, leggings and moccasins, much as the native Indians. When he settled in his cave, there was very little traffic by his door. He planted an orchard nearby and killed animals for his own use and traded skins for what he needed. He met James Emmitt on the nearby Divide Hill when Jim was a teamster and needed held getting over the steep hill (the old route wound around several curves on the way to the top). Hewitt came out and would chock the wagon wheel whenever Jim made a little headway when the horses had to stop for a breather. They became good friends from then on. When he found out that Hewitt was very sick, Hewitt was taken to Waverly and was tended by Dr. Blackstone, but a week later passed away and was buried in the Waverly Cemetery (where the city buildings are now).
This was in 1834 and the Portsmouth to Columbus turnpike was opened in 1840. In 1842, the president of the turnpike, Felix Renick, had a monument constructed and erected over the cave.The inscription read “Wm. Hewitt, the Hermit, occupied this cave 14 years, while all was a wilderness around him. He died in 1834, aged 70 years.”This monument stood there until the highway was widened to four lanes about 1952. It was first moved to Chillicothe and the state highway garage, and later to the intersection of Scioto Trail State Park road and U.S. 23. It now sits in the park beside an old church near Caldwell Lake.
Apparently his bones were dug up several times and ended up in a collection of a Circleville doctor: http://www.ohiogenealogyexpress.com/.../jacksonco_hist...
George Debakos, Russian-born farmer of Ross County from 1930s
Hatfield store and PO at Antonis on Willson Run, Ross County. Note Ohio State Fair ad.
picture courtesy of Betty Gildow
The historic Yellowbud Inn just before its demolition some years ago. it was a handy stopover spot for canal travelers going by Yellowbud, Ohio
The Valley House inn for stage and canal travelers at Yellowbud, Ohio in the mid to late 1800s.
The old school in Hallsville
The little grocery store that used to stand in front of Huntington Consolidated School in Ross Co. in 1940. The old school was razed in the 1980s.
Vigo in the late 80's after the main line had already been cut in Chillicothe. This section was taken out later from the old gunpowder plant to West Junction. In the 70's I recall trying to sell the owners of the store pictured a sponsorship on a Southeastern basket ball game on WIBO.
The Vaughn Block in Adelphi, Ross Co. back in the day. c 1900-1910
The Frankfort Works [Indian] Mound group. This mound group used to consist of a 27-acre square connected to two large circles. Of the original eight mounds within the enclosure, only one remains.
Salt Creek Fairy 1813
Ross Co.'s Yellowbud Band, ca. 1880.
The Vaughan Block in Adelphi, Newton Vaughan's undertaking business was here, Ross Co.
Methodist Church on Church Street, Frankfort, Ohio
Jefferson twp running a fiery without a licence
Stopping at a rest stop on U.S. Rt. 23 south of Chillicothe on August 31, 1947. Labor Day fell on September 1 in 1947
GAR (Grand Army of the Republic - Union Civil War vets) W.H. Lutz Post 338 posing in the snow on the bridge at Yellowbud, Ohio in 1886.