Willaimsport Pike, near Swaney Rd
photo by Bradley Hopper
The Rhea Hill school by Spargursville and Nipgen
Class picture outside the Denver one room school
Peggy Minney collection
Yellowbud School that stood on Twp. Rd. 1046 in Yellowbud, Ohio. The school was closed in 1961 and the building was demolished in 1970.
Austin School, Built 1923 Demolished
Willaimsport Pike, near Swaney Rd
photo by Bradley Hopper
The old Southeastern High School that stood on Jackson Street in Richmond Dale, Ohio
School buses at consolidated school for Huntington Township Oct 1940
Hunting school October 1940 photo by John Vachon
Highby School 1941-1942
Clarksburg School at High & Sixth St. in Clarksburg, built in 1893 and has now been demolished.
Borneville Elementary school 1958-59
A nice early photo of Bainbridge's first school, on Dewey Street, built in 1872. Ross Co.
Bainbridge School about 1907
History of Union Township Schools
(From the Chillicothe Gazette, 1962)
The first school house in Union Township was built about 1800, at or near the log house of Mr. Joseph Clark. It was a structure with a puncheon floor and a roof of clapboards with eight-poles laid across to keep them on. The windows were made by cutting out a log for several feet on each side of the house and putting greased paper in the opening. One end of the house was almost entirely appropriated for a fireplace. The seats consisted of split slabs supported by wooden pins. In this manner the school houses were built for a number of years. A school was opened in a log cabin about a mile north of where Andersonville now stands, in 1815 or 1816, the teacher being a man by the name of Perkins. It was afterwards held in a school house on the Inghams’ farm. East of the village. A hewed log house was erected a short distance above Andersonville in 1823, and was used until the brick house in the village was erected. A school house was built at an early date where the Union Church now stands, and another where the upper part of the basin was, in 1814 or 1815, Mr. Young and Mr. Lowery were the teachers. One of the earliest schools was opened on the farm of Thomas Withgott in which Charles McCrea was one of the first teachers. The first school in the Cook neighborhood was kept in a six-cornered, round log school house, as early as 1805 or 1806. Ebeneezer Everts was one of the first school teachers there, teaching several terms. The first school organized under the School Law was the Quaker School, then kept in a hewed log school house.
The one room school houses of Union and Scioto townships were abandoned at the end of the school year 1935-1936, upon the recommendation of the State Department of Education. A new district was created using the name Union-Scioto Rural School. The school became known as "Unioto", a contractive term taken from Union and Scioto. A tax levy of 3 ½ mils voted by the district evolved the sum of $50,000 which was matched by another $50,000 from the Federal government under the Public Works Administration and numbered as Project M OH 1021 R. The building site was purchased from Mr. George Garrison, on Egypt Pike, for the sum of $2,000. Construction was started in February of 1936, and the building was occupied September 23 of the same year. DeVoss and Donaldson were the architects, McCabe and Proctor were the contractors.
It was thought that colors of purple and gold were adopted at the suggestion of one of the board members whose Chillicothe class colors were purple and gold. The mascot name of "The Shermans" was later adopted when Supt. McMahon, former general in the United States Army, was superintendent of the Unioto School. Since Unioto lies just opposite the former site of WWI Camp Sherman, the suggestion of "The Shermans" was unanimously accepted by the student body. The Tank emblem became likewise a fitting symbol for the school.
In May of 1937, the Unioto High School graduated its first senior class of eight members.
One Room School Houses of the District1 The Hurst School, Egypt Pike and Cattail Road The Roush’s School, Stone Road The Bowdle School, Morrison and Albright Roads The Andersonville School, Andersonville Road The Dunlap School, Route 104 Sulpher Lick School, near Maple Grove Hotel School at the Ross County Infirmary Polk Hollow School, Polk Hollow Road The Steel School, Belleview Hill and Plyley’s Lane Shady Grove School, Plyley’s Lane Pleasant Valley School, Pleasant Valley Frenchtown School, Frenchtown Tootle School Springbank School Bier’s Run School
School Construction, Renovations 1936-2003: 1936 – School erected on Egypt Pike 1957 – New Elementary School, with an addition in 1961 1973 – Intermediate Learning Center erected 1973 – New High School 1995 – Old High school renovated for use as Junior High School 2002 – New Elementary School 2002 – New Junior High School 2002 – New additions to High School 2003 – Demolition to old Elementary School
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Adelphi School 11759 Market Street, Adelphi, Ohio Built: 1870
Former Unioto High school July 2011
photo by Tyrone Hemry 2011
Children in schoolyard. Ross County Feb 1940 photo John Vachon
1902 Second grade class at unknown Ross Co. School.
South Salem School #1, Church Street, South Salem, Ohio Built: 1842 Closed
Richmond Dale School #1, Richmond Dale, Ohio
Harrison Township three room elementary school, Charleston Pike, Mooresville, Ohio Built: 1930
Kingston School #, Kingston, Ohio Built: 1884
Hallsville School, Hallsville, Ohio
Frankfort School #2 High Street, Frankfort Built: 1912 Demolished: July 2002
Frankfort School #2 High Street, Frankfort
Frankfort School #1 High Street, Frankfort, Ohio Purchased: 1859 Demolished
Former Kingston School consolidated with Centralia High School to form Zane Trace High School about 1967.
Liberty Fractional Township School on old US 35 and was last used as the School House Restaurant but closed shortly after the new US 35 opened and the truck traffic went away.
Some History on Liberty township schools:
William Slaughter taught a school in the east part of Liberty Township during the winter of 1806-7. John A. Dailey was another early teacher. The log house in which Mr. Dailey taught was burned after being used for only one week. This building of the truly pioneer type was located on section fifteen. A building was then hastily constructed on section fourteen, in which Mr. Palley was permitted to finish the term. His successor was John Stretch, a carpenter, who worked at his trade during the summer months, and taught school in winter. Stretch was the designer and builder of most of the residences and barns in the locality which were pretentious enough to require the services of a skilled mechanic. A school was taught on land belonging to Mr. Rawles in the west part of the township about 1818. The teacher was an old man named Greenlee. A little later a school was established to the east of Walnut creek on land subsequently owned by the Kelleys. These were the pioneer schools, from which have grown a most complete educational system, with eleven modern school houses, located at convenient distances from all of the pupils. There is a good graded school at Londonderry, where pupils desiring higher education than that afforded by the district schools may attend at nominal cost.
Liberty Township High School, located in Londonderry, OH built in 1918 and now used as a township building. This school closed in 1955 and was consolidated with Richmon Dale.
Liberty Fractional school picture from a June 21, 1969 Chillicothe Gazette.
St. Mary's Parochial School
Clarksburg School #1 High Street at Sixth Street Built: 1893 Demolished