Untitled
Let these sponsors know you love this site
Southern Ohio Moument Co.....AM 660....
Vallery Ford....Sunrush Water....Union Stables....
The first Episcopal Church in the Northwest Territory which stood on South Walnut St. in Chillicothe. Built in 1821, the church was later used for private housing, and then became a multifamily residence. it was torn down in 1965 and is now a parking lot for members of the Walnut St. Methodist Church.
 Mark Howell information and picture
Tabernacle Baptist Church on East Main & Hickory during it's "Wavy Wall" period, 1955 to 1987. The older original church is to the left of the photo. 
Mark Howell information and picture

Zion Baptist 2004

Zion Baptist 1950

Zion Baptist 1994

Zion Baptist in 1912

Quin Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry

The old sanctuary of Calvary Lutheran Church as it appeared during the Harvest Festival in 1915

Calvary Lutheran Church sanctuary more recently

photo from Mark Howell

Saint Peters Catholic Church on fire 1947
Zion Baptist Church Chillicothe
84 South Clionton Road

1912-2009


"We Have Come This Far By Faith"

God has blessed our congregation for 97 years. When a vision was given in 1912 to Rev. Henry Estis to organize a church in the west end of Chillicothe. No doubt there were those who doubted and may have said why do we need another church. Nevertheless, Rev Estis pressed on and found some people who were vision followers and believed that faith was the evidence of things not seen. By that faith God provided an empty building owned by Mrs. Emaline Johnson on the corner of Mill and Locust Streets.

Folks in the neighborhood could feel that something great was about to happen, so they began to lend their support and did so in tangible ways. Child, they got that building ready and were ready to give up some praise! The Spirit was so high after that first service they then went into a revival. Rev. Estis then consulted with Rev. C. A. Jones, Pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church at Anderson Station Road as to the proper procedures in the establishment of a Baptist Church. Following the advice of Rev. Jones the candidates were baptized through Ebenezer Baptist Church. In June 1912, the newly baptized congregation called a council together and organized the Zion Baptist Church. The Rev Henry Estis was the Pastor. One year later, after a year of progress the old devil reared his ugly head. (anytime God's doing something the devil works hard to stop it) Some disagreement occurred and Rev Estis resigned his pastorate. A year later Zion called as their Pastor the Rev. C. A. Jones. He began his pastorate in 1913. Under Rev. Jones' leadership, the small building at Mill and Locust was remodeled in 1915 and again in 1920. A recreation hall was built, the Loyal Club, Esther Missionary Society and the Senior Choir was organized. Rev. Jones preached the Word of God Sunday after Sunday. Rev. Jones took a church from a beginning with not many people but those who were willing to commit themselves to the task of saving souls for the Kingdom of God. There were many ups and downs but he pressed on toward the mark of the prize of the calling in Christ. Rev. Jones served God and Zion until his death, July 30, 1948.

In October 1948, Rev. Harold M Wingo, son-in-law of the late Rev. Jones, accepted the call of the congregation. Rev. Wingo immediately set up a building fund because there was a need for a new church building. In 1952, the old building at Mill and Locust was torn down to make room for a new edifice. The congregation met for 10 months at 224 Locust Street while the new church was under construction. What great faith of the members to follow the vision of the Pastor, to worship in a garage, to have the faith to start with a $1.00 bill and know the Lord will make a way some how. In 1953 after the basement was completed, the congregation began holding worship services there. Finally, the sanctuary was completed and dedicated June 14, 1953. Under the inspired leadership of Pastor Wingo, many changes and improvements were accomplished. The number of choirs increased and real estate was bought. A parsonage was purchased. Pastor Wingo knew that without a vision the people would perish. Never did Pastor Wingo get satisfied and complacent. He knew that there was a work that needed to be done. He knew he might not be the one to get us to the new vision, but he and the membership of Zion laid the foundation through trusting and believing God is everything you need. Pastor Wingo was a true prophet from God. He walked what he talked and served faithful until God called him home and said, "Come on up a littler higher." In spite of all Pastor Wingo went through, especially health issues in his later years, he always gave the Word of God and would not allow anything to stop him from doing the Will of God. Pastor Wingo actually preached his eulogy the Sunday before he passed. Rev. Wingo went on to be with the Lord the following Saturday, March 1992.

The Rev J Troy Gray became the fourth pastor of Zion Baptist on May 1, 1992. A meeting was called by the church and a unanimous vote was given to elect him as our new shepherd. Under his leadership, the church as prospered spiritually, financially, and educationally. Under his capable leadership a Van Ministry has been instituted, monthly men's and women's fellowship meetings, an usher board, a soup kitchen and clothing bank , a food pantry, and a tape ministry for those unable to attend church. The church facility is also handicap accessible. In 1993, a partnership with the Chillicothe City Schools was formed. The goal of the partnership is to help students become more successful through tutoring. The Hattie Jackson Guild has been re-organized, and the youth program strengthened. In 1995, three young teens were ordained as junior Deacons. The Sunday School and the Vacation Bible School both continue to grow. Plans call for the establishment of an evening Sunday School to better meet the needs of the growing youth membership.

A Pastor's Service Ministry assists the Pastor in attending to the sick, the bereaved and in many other ways. The attendance at mid-week prayer service and Bible Study has increased. A class for new members has been instituted. The church membership is approximately 350, however, the outpouring of the Spirit has pricked men's souls, such that the membership roll grows weekly. Thirty three souls came forward from January 1 to June 16, 1996.

The realization of a dream was celebrated on March 24, 1996 when the Greater Zion Baptist Church was dedicated. The dedication sermon and service was brought by the Rev. F. Todd Gray and the Fifth Street Baptist Church of Richmond, VA. Prior to the Sunday celebration, a three-day Unity Retreat helped to restore and strengthen the current Zion family. The expansion of the old facility totaled 12,000 square feet. The seating capacity of the sanctuary doubled to that of 400. Five new classrooms were added, as well as a pastor's study and conference room. The classroom in the annex (1979 addition) were converted to a mini chapel. The lower level of the addition houses a second kitchen and a fellowship hall that seats 250 people. The total dollar cost of this project was a half-a-million dollars.

God always has a way to bring about what He has ordained. Pastor Gray led the way by sacrificing his salary for the duration of the construction of the new structure. John Hortel, who felt the leading of the Holy Spirit, donated all the plans and architectural drawings. Others and the Church Family, obeying the Spirit, followed suit, and donated the accessories that were needed to furnish the new structure. Some of the accessories included: new lighting fixtures throughout the sanctuary, pews, carpeting, a baby grand piano and a new sound system. Other blessings and manifestations of progress are; the institution of a nine member Deaconess Board that serves during communion and other duties, the establishment of a church newsletter, and the purchase of the property at 262 Locust Street.

A few years ago at about this same time, God gave our Pastor a Vision. We purchased 23 acres of land on Clinton Road. Through these past few years we have been through some tough times, but nevertheless, through God's grace, we moved into our new sanctuary on June 27, 2004.

Over the past three years, we have had much growth, physically and spiritually. He who is faithful over a few things, God will make ruler over many. We thank God for allowing us to be a part of His plan. Today Zion celebrates 96 years of service to God and to think it all started with a $1.00 bill and a whole lot of faith. We bow this day and give reverence to God and to all that laid the foundation for us to be here today. Indeed, we can say, "We've Come This Far By Faith"

http://zion-baptist.org/our-history/

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

place holder

1912 Walnut Street M. E. Church

The history of early Methodism in Chillicothe dates from the first years of the city's existence, and is centered around Walnut Street and Trinity Methodist Episcopal churches. In 1796-7, meetings of this sect were held among the settlers, in their private residences, or elsewhere, as circumstances permitted. The first public meeting place was in a log house on East Water street. In 1803--4 they were holding meetings in a log house at the northwest corner of Second and Walnut, or occupying the State house, jointly, with other congregations.

 Among the first supporters of this church were Dr. Edward Tiffin, Judge Thomas Scott, Dr. McAdow, Hector Sanford, Dr. William McDowell, and Daniel Madeira.

 In the diary of Francis Asbury is found the following entry : "Sept. 24, 1803, at Chillicothe. Preached in the State House to about five hundred hearers; again in 1805 preached at Chillicothe; entertained again by Governor Tiffin. Friday, September 4, 1807, came to Chillicothe and preached in our neat new house to a large congregation. On Monday we opened conference, sitting till Friday noon. In 1808 I was invited to spend the night under the hospitable roof of Gen. Thomas Worthington, within sight of which lies the precious dust of Mary Tiffin." Other episcopal visits are noted in 1809 and 1814.

The new church referred to by Bishop Asbury was built in 1807 on Second street, east of the alley between Walnut and Paint, north side, though not completed until 1810, during which three years the congregation occupied it. This building was burned in 1820, and another erected on the same site. The present church on Walnut street was erected in 1850, and was an imposing structure, for its time.

Many historic names have been associated with this congregation, and many distinguished divines have been connected with the organization.

The present building at Walnut and Main Streets was dedicated in 1905 and is the fourth building of the congregation. Its distinctive design with its stone exterior and beautiful stain glass windows are still a landmark for downtown Chillicothe.

http://www.walnutstreetumc.com

{A complete 170-page history was published in April, 2001 and is available for purchasing in the church office." 

Walnut Street M. E. Church c 1920's
located at intersection of Walnut Street and Main Street
 The Main St. "island" stretched from Walnut to High St. Col. Richard Enderlin had the monument created to recognize Chillicothe's veterans. The monument was moved to the park and placed next to the Armory in 1931 so that Main Street could be widened.
Saint Peters Catholic Church
Saint Peter's church was commenced in 1843, and completed and dedicated three years later in 1846. Rev. Otto H. Borgess was installed as the regular pastor. Many of the communicants being of the German nationality, their native language was installed as the prevailing tongue in religious worship for many years. Sometime after 1919 the church was remodeled and destroyed by fire in 1947. The church was replaced in 1949.
Quinn Chapel Methodist Church
Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
"The Woodson Family history states that at age twelve, young Thomas was arranged lodging away from Monticello on another plantation. The owner of the plantation was a man by the name of Woodson, and so Thomas took that name as his surname. He became Thomas C. Woodson, Sr. Thomas Woodson married Jemima Grant (Price), a slave on that farm, and after buying her and their children's freedom, moved to Chillicothe, Ohio. They lived on Marzluff's Hill and were charter members of the Quinn Chapel AME Church, the first AME Church west of the Allegheny Mountains. They were responsible for the settling of a mulatto village in Jackson County, Ohio, in 1828."
"Fanny Demint came to Ohio as the former slave of Thomas Worthington. She remained one of the favorite servants of the Worthington family, but supplemented her income by taking in laundry. She was the mother of eight children and owned a house in Chillicothe. Her fame as a cook spread throughout the Chillicothe, Ohio settlement and she was asked to prepare the food for the very best dinner parties held in the state's (Ohio) first capital. Fanny was a charter member of the Quinn Chapel AME Church, the first AME church west of the Allegheny Mountains. Her "husband" Robert Manns, was also a Worthington servant. She died in 1824."
---Source---
The African American Experience in Southern Ohio-URL:http://www.angelfire.com/oh/chillicothe "Thomas and Jemima Woodson were early members of the Methodist church in Chillicothe. In 1821, the Woodsons and other black members left to form their own church under the leadership of the Rev. Richard Allen. This was the first African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church organized west of the Alleghany mountains. The Woodsons' sons Lewis, John P., and Thomas became AME ministers."
---Source---
Monticello.org-Thomas Woodson-URL: http://www.monticello.org/plantation/hemingscontro/appendixh.html#woodson

Trinity Methodist Episcopal church has existed since the fall of 1843 as a product of growth within the local Methodist Church in the mid 19th century. In 1842, due to a growing congregation at what is now known as Walnut Street UMC, property was purchased on Main Street and the current Trinity sanctuary was constructed, though the name "Trinity" was not used officially until 1891. The first pastor was Rev. John Bartow. Trinity is one of the most popular and useful religious organizations of the city, and has counted among its pastors a number of the most intellectual men in the conference.
In 1958 an Education building was added to Trinity on Mulberry Street. The main sanctuary was remodeled in 1966 and in 1968 funds were donated to purchase a new pipe organ. Property on the corner of Main and Mulberry was acquired in 1976; these buildings have been razed and replaced with a courtyard area and parking. In 1995, The Billings furniture store property was purchased on Main Street. This building was remodeled and connected to the original sanctuary building. It currently houses the Friendship Hall, and several rooms on the second floor. These three properties comprise the Trinity facilities in Chillicothe. The Friendship Hall serves as the location for many community events such as Statehood Day Prayer Breakfast, Waffle Day, as well as many church and private events.
Trinity serves as the host church for the Greater Scioto Valley Emmaus Community and the Kairos prison ministry. Trinity offers a wide variety of ministries, seeking to offer Christ to as many people as possible. The location of the church facility provides many opportunities to serve the community and share the Good News of Jesus Christ!  

Trinity M. E. Church about 1910
Tyler Memorial Methodist Church

Interior view of Tyler Memorial Methodist Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Interior view of Tyler Memorial Methodist Church

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Liberty Baptist Church

Rev. Howard Casey started Liberty Baptist church about 1977. They met initially in the Credit Bureau on Bridge Street.He later moved the church to Pleasant Valley for a while. They then purchased the Wesleyan Church on Douglass Ave. for around $50,000. This building was sold for $57,000 and the remaining $17,500 mortgage was paid off. The present church building on Western Ave. was purchased for $103,000. Rick Randall was the second pastor before Rev. Meece came in 1988. Rev. Donald Meece had pastured for 2 and ½ years in Kokmo, IN after leaving Waverly Baptist Temple. He pastured Liberty Baptist for 17 ½ years before retiring and moving closer to his son in IN. When he left, the church had about a year left to finish paying the mortgage off. The current church building had originally been Calvary Baptist Church built around 1967 or 68. Calvary Baptist is now located further out on Western Ave. The church owns approximately 3 acres of land at this location. Accomplishments made while Rev. Meece pastured the church: the paving of the parking lot through a very generous donation by the late Earl Kuhner, getting the pews padded, a wooden storage building built to store the yard equipment, addition of a PA system, and a new air conditioner.

Current pastor of Liberty Baptist is Mike Montgomery

St. Mary's Catholic church is the outgrowth of the missionary labors of pious and zealous priests, who entered the wilderness in the early days, ministering to the wants of the scattered flocks at remote points, and establishing missions even among the hostile Indians. No nobler record of self-sacrifice, devotion to principle, and zeal in the furtherance of a worthy cause can be found in the annals of history than the patient endurance, courage and fortitude of the noble fathers of New France, who traversed the country in advance of the white settlements. No doubt the Scioto valley received attention, probably about the time of the establishment of the first church in the West, on the banks of the Wabash.

The early history of Catholicism in Chillicothe is somewhat obscure, at least as a matter of public record. But no doubt the Catholics were equally as aggressive as their Protestant brethren in the dissemination of the doctrines of the mother church. In fact tradition places Chillicothe among the early missions of the church where missionary fathers met the people at their homes several times each year and ministered to their spiritual wants. In the early thirties, however, Mr. Martin Bowman, a devout adherent to the Catholic faith, fitted up a room in his tavern, and piously donated its use to the church. This was occupied until the purchase of the old Episcopal church in 1837; and on the 7th of June of that year Rev. Henry D. Juncker came as the first regular pastor. The old church was remodeled, and dedicated as St. Mary's church, and here was the nucleus of Catholicism in the city.  

Saint Mary's Catholic Church built in 1869
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church 33 East Main Street, Chillicothe, OH

St. Paul's Episcopal church was organized in 1817, Rev. Roger Searle being the first rector. The first meetings were held at the court house. Rev. Mr. Searle had pastoral charge of several other congregations at this time, among which was the church at Portsmouth. The organization was effected at the house of Richard Douglas, at which meeting Levin Belt and Thomas James were made wardens; Richard Douglas, James Barnes and Edward King, vestrymen, and Henry Brush, William K. Bond, Edward King and R. Douglas, reading clerks. Mr. Bond was also the first secretary of the vestry.

A church was erected in 1821, on the south side of Walnut, between Main and Fourth streets, and dedicated on the 12th of September of that year, by Bishop Philander Chase. This was the first Episcopal church dedicated west of the Allegheny mountains.

Rev. Ezra B. Kellogg was installed as the first pastor, and entered upon his duties February 17, 1822.

The church was incorporated February 3, 1831, about which time a new house of worship was rendered necessary by the growth and prosperity of the organization. The church on East Main street was erected in 1833-4, and consecrated on the 5th of September, as St. Paul's, thus retaining the old name.

The old church building on Walnut street was sold to Bishop Purcell, and became the property of St. Mary's Roman Catholic church.

The historic and enduring congregation of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church will celebrate its bicentennial in 2017.

In 1817, the congregation held its first worship service on the steps of the Chillicothe court house (the building that had served as the first state capitol) in 1817.

Four years later the congregation built its first permanent home, on Walnut Street -- the first Episcopal church built west of the Alleghenies.

The sanctuary building of today’s St. Paul’s was built in 1833, and is most likely the oldest standing church building in Chillicothe. Though Methodists and Presbyterians founded congregations here before Episcopalians, no Chillicothe congregation has continued longer in a historic church home. The exterior of the 1833 sanctuary building looks much as it did historically, save the addition of the peaked steeple on the originally-flat belfry. The interior is very much changed.

The first pews were in three banks, and entered by doors for each pew. (Similar pews can still be seen at the Old North Church – the church of Paul Revere’s Ride – in Boston.) It is likely that church members purchased their own pews and decorated them; in 1834, the vestry requested that "those disposed to trim their pews have hangings of crimson." Families warmed themselves with foot stoves until a furnace and central heating were installed in 1835. The front of the sanctuary was flat, and the choir sang from a loft at the back of the church.

The original church bell is still in the belfry, though not in use. In 1842, the Chillicothe Gazette made note that St. Paul’s had "the only church-going bell in the place.

In a burst of energy and embellishment in the 1890s, the interior of the church was transformed. The ceiling beams, the oak wainscoting, and probably today’s pews were installed at that time. The beams, like the wainscoting, were originally dark varnished wood. The chancel – the space for the choir and altar at the front of the church, was added. The Tiffany window at the back of the chancel – most likely genuine – was given by Mr. and Mrs. Amos Smith in memory of their daughter Elizabeth Renick Smith Wilson, who had died the year before. addition of the chancel was an occasion for many families to make memorials. The pulpit, the organ, and the baptismal font were given by individuals or families.

A set off stained glass windows was installed in 1873, and gradually replaced from 1934 to 1960.

As the choir moved to the front of the church, a decision was made that members should wear robes, or be "vested" in Episcopal parlance. A picture in the library shows the first vested choir, from Easter 1900.

Today’s library was built as a chapel at the time of the 1890 renovations. Its stained glass windows are visible from outside the church, but were covered over from the inside in 1958. On the north wall is a remnant of the original 1821 church building – what Episcopalians call a reredos, or the backdrop for the church’s altar.

Today’s fellowship hall and upstairs Sunday School rooms were built in the 1920. The fellowship hall was what we would call a multipurpose room, and was at first the setting for interdenominational basketball games. Church records show that basketball rivalry apparently was deeply felt. "Our team ….was beaten in the play-off by the First Presbyterian Church team," St. Paul’s documents record. "The purpose of the schedule was to promote good fellowship and friendship among the churches. But at the end of the series feelings ran high and for a short time the purpose of the league was somewhat forgotten." In its nearly two-century life, St. Paul’s has been home to its share of prominent people. Among its founders was the then-mayor, Levin Belt, and its early vestry (church council) periodically recorded thanks to Governor Edward Tiffin for conducting services as a lay reader. James T. Worthington, probably the oldest son of early governor Thomas Worthington, gave 10,000 bricks for construction of the present church building.

Early troubles are recorded, as well. In 1841 a clergyman resigned "apparently because his salary was in arrears..." according to the church records. Again in 1856, a rector resigned after his salary went unpaid.

In recent years, the congregation suffered a division as a clergyman and longtime members left to join dissenting Anglicans as part of a national and international quarrel over social teachings and ordination.

From 2010 to 2012, the congregation was blessed by the ministry of Rev. Tracey Carroll as priest-in-charge. Mother Carroll left after Pentecost 2012 to with her family to Oklahoma, where her husband, the Rev. Bill Carroll, will serve as rector of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Shawnee. The vestry of St. Paul’s is working with the Diocese of Southern Ohio to quickly identify a new priest-in charge to help the congregation continue its historic and enduring witness.  

Chillicothe Calvary Baptist Church 1970's now Liberty Baptist

First Presbyterian in 1909

The first church of the Presbyterian faith was organized by the early pioneers, and services were conducted in the cabins, or at any accessible point, until a church building was erected. The old First church was attended by the worshiping pioneers, regardless of their individual preferences as to creed ; and it was not until 1797 that the Presbyterian church came to be recognized as such, and to maintain a separate organization. The first minister, and organizing pastor, was Rev. William Speer, a young man who left his home in Chambersburg, Pa., and crossed the mountains on horseback, to enter upon a career of usefulness in the unbroken wilderness of the Northwest Territory. The organization was effected in compliance with the wishes of a few devoted settlers of the early day, and on the 3d of October, 1797, the church was received into the presbytery of Tran-sylvania as "New Hope Church," a designation which it retained until 1811, when it became the First Presbyterian church of Chillicothe. Services were at first held in an unfinished log cabin, with no floor laid except the sleepers, and no means possessed by the worshiper to purchase the lumber necessary to finish the building. The sleepers were utilized for seats, a most appropriate use for church sleepers, even in modern times. As the congregation grew in numbers and interest, meetings were held in the old State house, and so continued until about 1811, when the first church building was completed on Second street, east canal. A number of eloquent and zealous pastors occupied the pulpit of this church during its early years after the expiration of Mr. Speer's four years' pastorate. In 1844 "The Old Rock" on West Main street was built, dedicated May 31, 1816, and served until 1893, when the building of the present handsome church was begun.

Note picture of the old stone church next to the old Sheriffs office, was built in 1894 but a fire in 1954 during an expansion destroyed it. They then built a new church on Belleview Hill. Citizen's Bank now occupies the site.

During Camp Sherman days a soldier's rest room was located in the basement for the soldiers to come read, relax and write letters home.

First Presbyterian

THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN CHURCH OF GOD OF CHILLICOTHE OHIO

Known today as the First Baptist Church, it was organized by David Nickens in 1824. David was the first recorded ordained Baptist minister in the state of Ohio. They were assisted in organizing by The Revs. Cory of Frankfort and Speers of Chillicothe.

In 1830 the congregation officially became known as the First Anti-slavery Baptist Church of Chillicothe. Rev. Willam Mitchell, the Chancellor family several others were active in the Underground Railroad.

Members of the Church assisted in educating People of Color in Chillicothe. They maintained an excellent choral group that came to known for its musical talents throughout southern Ohio.


First Baptist Church  65 West Forth, Chillicothe

The German Evangelical Salem church was organized, April 7, 1877. The first pastor was Rev. A. F. F. Kohler. In 1881 the society built a church at the corner of Fourth and Mulberry, where services were regularly held by the pastor, Rev. J. A. Reinicke. In 1910 the church was rebuilt and expanded. The original building extends on the right toward Fourth Street and the new addition extends on the left along Mulberry.

Chillicothe Evangelical Salem Church in 1911

Chillicothe Baptist History
14000 Ohio 104 Chillicothe, OH

1954-1966: CBC Was Established
Rev. Darty Stowe and two summer workers came to Chillicothe for a two–week Revival meeting June 14, 1954, in the Union Hall on South Paint Street. On the first Sunday, a Sunday School was organized with 23 members.

The second Sunday, a Mission was established. At the end of the Revival, four had come for baptism and 11 by letter. The First Baptist Church in Waverly was the sponsor. Rev. Eugene Briscoe was called as the first Pastor. Groundbreaking at the property on West Fourth Street and Pohlman Road was on Christmas Day, 1954.

The Mission was organized into a church on January 13, 1955. On October 27, 1955 a $15,000 loan was granted from the Home Mission Board. Construction began in November 1955 and the dedication and the first service were held on Easter Sunday, April 29, 1956. The groundbreaking ceremony was on October 13, 1965, for the two–story $47,000 educational unit. Dedication was held May 15, 1966.

1970-1980: The Move to Clinton Road
On March 11, 1970, a 10–acre lot of land on Clinton Road was purchased with a $13,000 loan from the Home Mission Board and was paid in its entirety February, 1973. The Home Mission Board granted a loan of $215,000 for relocation to the Clinton Road property following a 2½ year study by the Plan and Survey Committee, with ground breaking April 1, 1979.

Melvin Felty Associates were the Architect, and H.E. Sudlow, the Contractor, with much of the work being done by our members. The building, with 20 classrooms, sanctuary seating 350, and full basement, costing $500,000 was ready for first services on March 2, 1980, and Dedication Services were on June 1, 1980.

1985-1989: Educational Wing Added, A Church is Planted, A Park is Established
On May 31, 1985, ground was broken for a new two – story Educational Wing with Melvin Felty, Architect, and Jim Gahring, Contractor, and with volunteer groups from Georgia and Alabama giving many hours of labor, the new wing was dedicated on October 27, 1985.

On December 9, 1985, the church voted to be the mother church and sponsor for Open Bible Baptist Chapel, a mission on the east end of Chillicothe. May 1, 1987, Darrell Chapman, who had pastored Chillicothe Baptist from 1966 – 1970, became Pastor of Open Bible.

In 1988, the church established a park on the back acreage, which had been purchased June 5, 1986. On July 2, 1989, this park was dedicated to the memory of Jess Brown.

1990-1992: Balcony added to the Worship Center
On July 18, 1990, the church in business session voted to accept the recommendations of the Long Range Planning Committee, Chairman, Bob Winegar, to enter into a stewardship campaign with Cargill Associated for the purpose of constructing a balcony of approximately 200 seats at a cost of $140,000 which included lighting, sound, and furnishings, to complete the commercial kitchen, and to retire the current indebtedness of $540,000. Allen Ballew agreed to donate his services as Construction Manger. John Hortel, engineer and Designer, drew up the architectural plans.

The Stewardship Campaign was called "Vision to Victory" and the Slogan was "Not Equal Giving, But Equal Sacrifice." The balcony was completed and dedicated on December 9, 1990, with Dr. Tal Bonham brining the message. A note – burning celebration for the balcony was held March 15, 1992. In July 1992, the parsonage and additional property in the back were paid in full and the commercial equipment for the new kitchen ordered. Also in July 1992, the church paid the first extra payment toward the main church building.

2001-Present: New Location, New Church, Same Vision
All debts were paid and the church was debt free in April 2001. Long time dedicated CBC member John Harper came across a property on State Route 104 that was available. He immediately knew that this would be the land that God provided for CBC to build a new church on.

On November 10, 2002 the church voted to buy and relocate on 61 acres at 14000 State Route 104. In July 2007 the new facilities were dedicated.


Calvary Evangelical Lutheran church was organized November 1, 1899, through the board of home missions of the general church. It came into existence through a popular demand for English speaking, as expressed by some of, the members of the Evangelical Lutheran church. Public services were held in the Foulke block, Rev. George H. Schnur being the missionary in charge.

chillicotheinfo.net Churches of Chillicothe, Ohio Histories