Untitled
Let these sponsors know you love this site
Southern Ohio Moument Co.....AM 660....
Vallery Ford....Sunrush Water....Union Stables....

photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2011

   The church's present Sunday School was organized in April of 1922 by the American Sunday School Union with an enrollment of 48 members. The Good Cheer Class in Chillicothe promised their ongoing support to the Sunday School, and to show appreciation of this kindness, the Sunday School was named "Good Cheer" Union Sunday School which remains today.
     In 1999, the church realized the need for additional classrooms, a fellowship area, and for the first time it have inside restrooms, Amamas Construction was contacted to build the addition. On September 15, 2002 the church hall the dedication service for the new completed addition. Dr. Dan Tipton. General Superintendent for the Churches of Christ in Christian Union, brought the dedication message, and Rev. Don Spurgeon, South Central Superintended, conducted the act of dedication and led in pastoral prayer during the worship service.
    In January of 2005, the members of the little church had a vision to remodel the church sanctuary. The Lord's blessing was certainly upon the project. The Ross Correctional Institution's Community Inmate Work Program (a works program where a drew of inmates do volunteer work in the local community for non-profit organization teaching the inmates a vocation and giving back to the community) was contacted and they were available to do the labor. February of 2005 the project started. A local cabinet maker, William "Bill" Farley was contacted to rebuild the alter and do the finishing jobs.
    Today as you enter that same little church, that was started in 1907, sitting beside the road, you will see a lot of changes that have been made over the years, but the vision remains. To spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, the only remedy to rescue a dying world from sin.


photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Nipgen Church or school

Nipgen Church family

located on Wilson Run

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Antonias Christian Church started 1911

photo by Tyrone Hemry

photo by Tyrone Hemry

     Soon after Mary Snyder, who lived in a little log house across the road from Clements Lane, between Wilson Run Road and the creek, deeded the property, part of her homestead, to the Churches of Christ in Christian Union September 28, 1907, construction of the first church, a log church, began. Church was hells for two to three years when a fire destroyed all of the church except two outside walls (which remain in the present church). For the next several years, the little church that still sits by the wayside had been quiet and vacant. No organ peals, nor beautiful hymns were hear ringing out thru the valleys of Wilson Run. No happy faces of both young and old were seen entering the little forsaken church by the way and no prayers for the burdened and wondering ere hears breaking into the Heavens.



















     The second church which remains today was built out of a redwood lumber connected onto the two existing log walls and painted white. Thus, the nickname "The White Church" began.
     In December of 1921, it dawned upon anxious minds to reorganize the little church and begin the services that had been silenced. A little group was gathered and with just a few members the church was reorganized.
     The story that was written and read at the 1933 Labor Day service by Violet Snyder Christy: The first night's service was announced, but from that little group of members, only three entered the little church that night. These three were brothers, Vause, Lee, and Herald Snyder (Sons of August Snyder-Brother of Mary Snyder). They patiently, anxiously listened for the sound of footsteps of someone finding their way to the little church, but no one came. The church hour rolled around and the service began with only these three brothers. One led the song service, one read the scripture lesson and as the invitation was given, the third brother, who at the time was unsaved, knelt at the alter, In sweet communion the brothers lifted their voices in prayer for a lost community. Thus, with this little humble prayer service the foundation was laid for the little church which remains today. The little church has sent out missionaries, ministers, teachers, and singers into the world to rescue a dying world from sin.
     One of the original brothers. D. Harold Snyder became First Elder of the little church and dedicated his life to it. His love, dedication, faithfulness, and determination to keep the little church open was obvious to everyone whom he met, Harold remained First Elder until he left this would to be with his Heavenly Father. Harold's son, Gerald, accepted the mantle of leadership and possesses the same love, faithfulness, and determination to see the church prosper. Gerald faithfully serves the little church as the First Elder at present time (2006)
    In the late 50's - early 60's the need to enlarge the church became obvious. Local carpenters, Chester Osborn and Orlando Hatfield built the north side addition that remains today.
     The present day shelter was built in the early 50's. Previously , everyone had sat on boards nailed across logs. Post for the shelter were cut from nearby forest and pulled by horses to the present location. The beams and main structure were take from an old railroad bridge, People today all ask the same question, "Why was the shelter house built around a large tree?" No One remembers.













  












  

Wilson Run Church of Christ in Christian Union

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2010

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2011
photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2011
 History of the Richmon Dale UMC Church Parsonage On the 4th of September 1812, a parcel of land was recorded as being divided into 49 lots, allowing for a main street 72 feet wide, other streets 66 feet (4 poles) wide, and alleys 16 1/2 feet (1 pole) wide. This parcel of land was to be called the Town of Richmond. On December 30, 1814, three proprietors of Richmond, (John, Joshua, and Jeremiah Moffett) recorded a new plot map showing 65 lots. Most lots were 82 ½ feet wide and 165 feet long. Plot No. 45 was set aside as required by law, for the public use by a school or church. This would have been located on Jackson Street at the alley connecting Jackson and Main Streets. On April 9, 1852, John H. Davis sold to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church a parcel of land described as lot no. 1, in the town of Richmond for the sum of $300.00. This lot located at the corner of Main and Water street was recorded in Volume 52, page 423 as being for the purpose of furnishing a residence for the preacher or preachers that might be appointed to the Richmond Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church from year to year and during all the time to come. On June 19, 1874 this lot was sold to James H. Heath for the sum of $300.00. On March 12, 1887 the trustees of the church petitioned the court of common pleas of Ross County for permission to exchange a parcel of property being the parsonage property located at in-lots 58, 59, & 60 (starting at the corner of Market and Jackson and going south), and $100.00, for another parcel of land situated in Richmond Dale. The petition was granted and the transaction was recorded Dec. 14, 1874. There was an 8-room house located on Main Street that served as the parsonage for many years. In 1962, the quarterly conference authorized the purchase or construction of a new parsonage on the condition the existing parsonage could be sold for at least $6000.00. The best offer received for the house was $5000.00. The parsonage was sold and a new parsonage was purchased located at 88 Lincoln Road in Londonderry. This parsonage was purchased to serve the needs of the Charge, which included Londonderry, Richmond Dale, Mt. Carmel, and Concord Churches. In 1984, the Richmond Dale and Londonderry Churches purchased the interest in the parsonage of Mt. Carmel and Concord as they formed their own Charge. In 2001, as Londonderry withdrew from the two point Charge, the parsonage was placed on the market to sale with the proceeds split equally between the two churches. During this time, Norma Brohard donated a parcel of ground to the Church for the purpose of providing a parsonage. It is located as part of lot 57, at the corner of Market and Jackson Streets. The parsonage was sold in October with each church receiving $40,108.75. In November, the pastor and his wife were relocated to a temporary parsonage located at 145 Whaley Place, Chillicothe, Ohio. With the new deed being recorded and construction plans and financing pending, a formal groundbreaking ceremony is to be held at the new parsonage site on December 16, 2001. history provided by Charlie Cottrill
The Parishan published in1933
Richmond Dale United Methodist

1938 picture of Richmond Dale Methodist Church

from Charlie Cottrill collection

 photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2010

Goshen Run Church in the 1920's

   In the year of 1900, a man by the name of Charles Gilkey learned of a preacher named Mahalin Huber who believed in the truth of the Bible, and he sent for her.

Sister Huber held a six week revival in the Schooley Chapel. Afterwards the church began to hold meetings from house to house. Prior to the erection of the first building, the church met in another building about ½ mile from the present site. This building was owned by another church and when the truth began being preached in its fullness, the Church God people were no longer allowed to the use the building. Mrs. Jerry (Annabelle) White opened her home to the church and thus began holding services in her home. Several revivals were held in her home and many were won to the Lord.
     The land on which the present church stands was donated by George Speirs in 1914 with the stipulation that it belong to the church so long as the church continued to hold regular services. If no services were held for a period of a year, the land automatically went back to its former owner, namely George Speirs and his heirs. No deed or legal agreement was written to this effect.
    In 1915 a one room frame building was erected by men of the community. Jerry White, Riley Moats, Barney Gatten, Boyd White and Braekey Speirs being the main workers. Other workers also helped including Lewis Stevens. This building was used until approximately 1936.
    In 1936 a second building was erected and it continued to serve the congregation as the main sanctuary until approximately 1996 when the third building was erected. The second building was then converted to the fellowship hall.
     A precise list of names and dates of Pastors is unknown; however the following are known to have pastored the sheep throughout the years: Goldie (Mammy) White , Herman Hollis , Virginia Matney , Darrell Hatfield , Woodrow Wilson , Jay Watts , Brad Lambert , Mark Reese, Jeremy Hatfield .

Current pastor is Keith Richardson

photos by Tyrone Hemry

Goshen Run Church Of God

                                                       Reverend Walter Dawson Pastor

The Alma United Methodist Church celebrate its 125th Anniversary on Sunday October 15, 2000.

Friends and loved ones filled the sanctuary for a gospel sing featuring the Praise Group and the Bland Sisters. There were testimonies by former pastors and their wives as well as former Sunday School students. Following the afternoon service, a wonderful, light serving was given along with a special anniversary cake by the ladies of the church. Also, many items were on display. This little white church by the side of the road has been a chapel dedicated to the ministry of Christ in this community for over 125 years. It was first known as the Cove Society of the Protestant Methodist.

Then in 1954, the new high way came through Alma. The building was moved across the highway, U.S. 23, to where it stands today. It was placed on a lot purchased from Leroy and Beatrice Oyer. Mother Oyer is the last of the living charter members and is still the faithful pianist of the church. The building had a full basement, rear annex, front vestibule, and a new ceiling added when it moved to its present location.

The little white chapel has been dedicated these 125 years to the ministry of Christ in this small community. Many have moved away and have come back to renew their Christian heritage that they received from this small Methodist church. Therefore, this sanctuary has become a spiritual landmark, even to all those that pass through Pike county, which to some is almost like heaven.

*****************************************************

According to Linda Adams, a descendent of Rev. Bland, the church was started by Rev. Josiah Bland in 1875 and was originally called Bland Chapel

Ross County, Ohio Church Histories
Alma United Methodist Church