Chillicothe 1930 car transport
Chillicothe Walnut and Second streets
photo by Tyrone Hemry Nov 27, 2012
Chillicothe 1910 baseball team
Chillicothe Fire Fighters fighting a fire
Twin Trees at entrance to country club 1910
Brewer & Brewer first steam shovel covering Honey Creek along Western Ave.
Marzluffs Hill, c 1905
The Water St. hill in Chillicothe in 1905 looking across Western Ave. You can see an uncovered Honey Creek in the left foreground where Moto Oil (or its successor) stands today and the Imperial gas station used to be. Hammond's flour mill would be behind your left shoulder. Notice the power lines on the double crosstree poles and the phone lines on the quadruple crosstree poles, no trunk lines for phones back then.
Second Street, winter 1906
Second Street, looking East from High Street
High street looking north
Fourth Street 1918
Queen Ann style house built 1894 at 47 East 5th Street, Chillicothe. At time of picture the home was being used as a Bed & Breakfast.
Panoramic view of Chillicothe
West Fifth Street in 1910
Birds eye view of Chillicothe c. 1910
West Second Street in winter
Oil and Battery goes back at least till the early 1920s, closed about in the mid 90s
Orval Gatten collection
Chillicothe Elks Club
Chillicothe Hospital c 1924
Chillicothe Hospital c 1918
Wiggins House at East Fifth Street at Caldwell
Vernon Barret House
Intersection of Mulberry and Water street before Water Street was widened. The white truck on the left is a Borden's truck , parked beside what was the Wallpaper Store. The Gulf station is setting on canal land. This is looking west.
Chillicothe The old [Fire Dept.] Engine House No. 1 on North Mulberry St. in Chillicothe, later occupied by Deeter's Plumbing.
Tip Top Machine Shop in Chillicothe on East 2nd St. in 1907. L to R Jesse Lott, Geo. Hummel, Philip Young, Joe Wade, Billy Bingham, John Young, Tom Esker
WBEX advertising clock 1490 KHz on your AM dial
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Chillicothe VA Hospital
Fox Farm Inn resturant (1924 -1992)
The Owl's Auto Parade in Chillicothe, Ohio in 1909, rolling south on Paint St. past Huntington Bank, first the marchers, then an electric trolley, and then the autos.
The Chillicothe Motorcycle Club posing on Second Street in 1912
The old Ross Co. Fairgrounds entrance building at Arch & Vine St. back when the fairgrounds were in Chillicothe where Smith and Worthington Schools and Herrnstein Track is now
Chillicothe Feb 1940 clearing snow
photo by Arthur Rothstein
Chillicothe District Tubercular Hospital
Chillicothe Faternal Order of Eagles
Chillicothe Fraternal Order of Eagles was located on North Walnut Street in this former Methodist church and even had bowling alleys in it. It was torn down in 1940. The Methodist had built this one in 1850 after a wooden one had burned down on West Second Street. By 1905 They needed a new one so they built a new one on the west corner of Main and Walnut Streets.
Mountain House from about 1924.
The Fox Farm Inn restaurant (1924 -1992) in Chillicothe in 1950 when Rt. 23 (North Bridge St.) just had two lanes.
The Fox Farm Inn is one of Chillicothe, Ohio's historic treasures. Dr. Jonathan Miesse built the large Federal-Styled home around 1843, on a 1.5 acre tract of land. Later, Dr. Miesse purchased 11 additional acres.
The property changed hands several times after his death in 1885. Scioto Valley Silver Fox Ranch opened in 1924 at the home, hence the name, "Fox Farm." Arthur l. Turnipseed, manager of the ranch, mated pairs of silver foxes and sold them to investors for $1500. The farm was a very popular Sunday afternoon outing during the 1920's, but stayed in business for less than 5 years.
In 1935 Carson Dresbach founded the famous "Fox Farm Inn" restaurant. It changed hands several times over the next 60 years, finally closing its doors permanently in August of 1992.
E.M. Smith Jewelers brought the Historic building back to life when they purchased it in January of 1993. Extensive renovations began in March and the doors of the new E.M Smith Jewelers and Fox Farm Gift Gallery opened on July 2, 1993.
West Fourth Street Chillicothe OH Postcard 1918